Wednesday, September 22, 2010

First in, best dressed.



Test.


As far as pretentious, crowd accepting trends go, I have to say, making a blog takes the cake. But I have found that when following the cake trends, you should always try whatever is on the menu. It's actually difficult not to sound like JD on scrubs, when writing this.

I mean, how hard is it to speak about yourself without sounding like the pretentious prick of the pack?

I would think it would be great to speak about the whole "hipster" crowd and how it works in a sense. But, wouldn't that be hipster of me to do so? It's this endless paradox of following the trend but being misled into being the "bad guy"  whenever you promote having "hipster" tendencies. 

So what is one to do? Levitate between being "yourself" and following the trend of the time, so you can have those witty conversations with every person who is "in love" with the trend but secretly despises it. Ha! Its great. Like ticking time-bombs, waiting to explode in the social realm. 

In my head I'm trying to relate to any other social disturbance in history like this. I can only think of the "emo" outburst in high school. Endless pools of young, black and red; splashing colours and "emotions" into the city. Covering exits, leisurely blending in with the many sculptures and outside paraphernalia. It was an endless, flood of screams and shouts that not even the police could stop. At the time, being the awkward teenager and not knowing of trends at that age, like some sort of Michael Cera appropriation, I would ask them why they do it? And whether it's "cool" to be emo or if they are emo themselves. Which led to some very short, but sweet answers. 

"I'm not emo! I'm hardcore!"  
"No I'm not emo! I'm Scene, totally different" 
"NO, I'm not emo. I'm goth, I just wear colours and make out with guys, well a few guys. I'm not gay" 

Yeah buddy, only real men wear pink nail polish.

But, from this, I'm sure you can relate. This "emo" trend turned out to be nothing more than a facade. 


Nick-Face







No comments:

Post a Comment